Yesterday, during a lunch chock full o’ watching a live broadcast of a knee surgery from Swedish (courtesy @danamlewis) and checking out a group of smart, passionate folks talk about Women & HIV at the White House (including @SusannahFox), I indulged in a download of the new Webicina app for the iPhone.
For those of you unfamiliar with Webicina, it is one of the best examples of crowdsourced curation of health information I have seen. At the most basic level, it is a list of resources, by medical specialty (for healthcare professionals) and health conditions (for patients). Also, if you click on ‘About Us’ (top right in screenshot) from the main menu, it will provide a link to its PeRSSonalized Medicine feature, which has RSS-like functionality…except that a world of contributors has already done the work to pre-select menu items for you. And it’s available in 17 languages. Oh, and it’s free. Webicina has been available online for a couple years, but now it’s available as an app on iTunes, and per its creator/curator Dr. @Berci Mesko, it will soon be available for Android.
I think the best value of Webicina may be that it is a central place to direct healthcare professionals who are looking to get their feet wet with social media/Web 2.0 or alternately, it is a good initial place to direct patients who are a bit overwhelmed from trying to dive into the pool of health information online. The next best thing about Webicina? If you think there is a great resource missing from the list, just click on the link to Webicina.com in the app and type it into the ‘suggest a site’ box for possible inclusion!
Scroll down for additional screenshots
I poked around a bit on it earlier today.
(And below is an enlarged iPhone screenshot of some of the resource types within a section)
- RT @osmanhahmed: "Innovative patient care practices using social media" via #JAPhA bit.ly/1zj9MMY Your field @kevinclauson! #hcsm 6 days ago
- Meta-analysis of #DigitalHealth Interventions for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease [@MayoClinic Proc] bit.ly/1FVcKMD 1 week ago
- RT @ussoccer: FINAL: #USMNT 2, Mexico 0. A win for the USA in front of a sold-out Alamodome in San Antonio! http://t.co/ZRC0RcDitP 1 week ago
- #eHealth literacy interventions for older adults [@JMedInternetRes] bit.ly/1GymLjK 1 week ago
- Tailored motivational message generation: A model and framework for real-time physical activity coaching [JBI] bit.ly/1FVcnSg 1 week ago